With increasing numbers of trucks on America’s roads, highways, and interstates, truck accidents and crashes have become unfortunately common. According to the latest statistics from, more than half a million large truck and commercial vehicle accidents occur in the United States each year, resulting in injuries and extensive damages to truck drivers themselves, as well as other drivers on the road. While some accidents can be attributed to poor weather or road conditions, the majority are due to dangerous driving behaviors and other situations that could have easily been prevented. Common types of truck accidents include the following:
- Accidents caused by negligence in truck maintenance, such as improperly inflated tires, worn brake systems, and shoddy repairs;
- Cargo-related accidents due to improper loading, excessive weight, and cargo shifting;
- Driver performance-related accidents, resulting from improperly trained drivers who are unaware of proper braking techniques and those who forget to check blind spots;
- Drowsy driving accidents, resulting from drivers trying to meet quotas who drive while fatigued or fall asleep behind the wheel;
- Reckless driving accidents, caused by drivers who fail to obey the rules of the road and engage in speeding, distracted driving, and other dangerous behaviors;
- Impaired driving accidents, caused by drivers who use drugs or alcohol behind the wheel
Due to the size and bulk and most commercial trucks, when these types of accidents do occur they often result in severe, potentially disabling, and often life threatening injuries to other motorists and their passengers.
If you have been injured in a truck accident in New York, you may be entitled to compensation for damages including, but not necessarily limited to, medical costs, lost wages, and pain and suffering. It is important to speak with an attorney and fully understand your rights during what is certainly a very stressful time.
Attorney Dennis Carrion, Esq., represents victims of trucking accidents. Call Dennis today for a free consultation by calling (800) 717-5975. The consultation is always free, and there is never any fee unless we win.