New York City (NYC) Product Liability Lawyer
You have the right to expect to be safe when using consumer goods, machinery, vehicles, medication, medical devices, construction equipment and other products and equipment in your daily life. The truth is that dangerous and defective products kill or seriously injure millions of people each year.
The product liability attorneys at The Carrion Law Firm, make the designers, manufacturers and sellers pay for the injuries defective and dangerous products inflict upon you or members of your family. We aggressively take on the insurance companies and their teams of defense lawyers to make corporations pay for the damages they cause.
Product liability law and defective products
Product liability is an area of law that hold the makers and distributors of faulty and hazardous products responsible for them harm they cause. Most products and equipment you come across in your home or workplace may become the subject of a product liability lawsuit, including:
- Household appliances
- Lawnmowers and outdoor equipment
- Cars and other motor vehicles, including air bags and other equipment
- Drugs and cosmetics
- Medical devices
- Construction machinery and equipment
- Sporting goods and sports equipment
- Food products
Defects fall into three basic categories:
- Design: When engineers and designers fail to take into account the way their products are used by consumers, you could be injured. A poorly designed product may cause injuries regardless of how well it is manufactured. For example, a child’s toy with small, removable parts that can present a choking hazard if swallowed may entitle the parents to sue for damages.
- Manufacturing: A well-designed product may still be unsafe due to a flaw in the manufacturing process. Examples may include food or pharmaceutical products contaminated by cleaning solutions used on production equipment or a lawn mower built using metal too weak to securely hold the rotating blade in place.
- Instructions or labeling: Improper or insufficient instructions for safe use of a product or warnings about potential dangers may cause injuries. An example of improper labeling would be the failure of a cold medication to include on its label a warning to parents about harm it may cause if given to infants.
Multiple parties may be at fault for a defective or dangerous product in addition to its manufacturer, designer and seller. For example, the failure of an air bag to deploy to protect the occupants of a car may allow a claim for damages to be made against the manufacturers of the air bag and the auto manufacturer that installed them in its vehicles.
Compensation when defective products cause injuries
Injuries caused by a defective or dangerous product may include burns, lacerations, broken bones, scarring and disfigurement, and other significant harm. It may even result in death.
Damages demanded in a product liability lawsuit to compensate a victim include:
- Physician and hospital expenses
- Nursing care
- Prescription medications
- Medical equipment
- Physical therapy
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages and diminished future earning capacity
When the product causes the death of a victim, the family may be entitled to damages for wrongful death.
Contact a New York and Florida product liability attorney
If you or a love one is injured by a defective or dangerous product, you need a skilled and knowledgeable product liability attorney from The Carrion Law Firm, handling your claim for damages. Our aggressive, client-focused approach makes the parties responsible your injuries pay the damages you need and deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation.