Trusted Attorney Advocating For The Rights of Victims of Dog Bites
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than a third of the households in the United States have at least one dog in residence. Dogs may be loyal and faithful companions to their owners, but a dog bite can cause serious injuries requiring medical attention. Victims of a dog bite may be entitled to recover damages against the owner or the person responsible for the dog’s actions.
At The Carrion Firm, PLLC, we help New York and Florida dog bite victims recover compensation for their medical costs, lost wages and other damages caused by the attack. Whether the claim is against the owner of the dog or against a landlord that allows a tenant to keep a dog on rented premises, our personal injury attorneys have the experience to make the responsible party pay.
Injuries commonly caused by dog bites
Depending upon the size of the dog and the circumstances of the attack, some of the most common injuries associated with a dog bite include:
- Puncture wounds
- Skin abrasion
- Broken bones
- Damage to nerves, tendons and muscles
Wounds caused by a dog bite may become infected or may cause scarring, so getting the proper medical treatment immediately after an attack is essential.
Damages frequently resulting from being bitten by a dog may include the following:
- Medical expenses, including physicians, hospitals and physical therapy
- Wages lost from being unable to work while recuperating
- Reduction in future earning capacity
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
Post-traumatic stress disorder and other psychological injuries may accompany the physical damage caused by being attacked by a dog. Our attorneys work with your medical professionals to ensure that any settlement or verdict after trial sufficiently compensates you for all of the injuries and harm caused by the attack.
Steps to take after a dog bite in New York or Florida
Being attacked by a dog can be an unsettling and emotionally devastating event. If you or a family member is bitten by a dog, you should take the following steps:
- Obtain immediate medical treatment for the injuries to prevent infection and to treat rabies or other diseases the dog may transmit to a dog bite victim.
- Notify the police of the attack.
- If you do not know the dog that attacked you or know the identity of its owner, make note of a description of the animal to assist police in tracking them down. Take a picture of the dog to help identify it later.
- Take photos of the injuries caused by the dog bite.
If the attack takes place on property belonging to another party, notify the property owner as soon as possible to protect your right to make a claim against them for compensation.
Superior representation for victims of dog bites
The Carrion Firm, PLLC, has the knowledge of the laws pertaining to dog bites and the experience handling claims for compensation on behalf of injured victims to aggressively pursue a claim for damages when you or a family member has been attacked. Contact us today for a free consultation with our compassionate dog bite attorney.